LEG’s formal commitment (policy) to address environment issues
LEG uses its sustainability report to inform about its commitment regarding environmental issues. In the sustainability report, the Sustainability Mission Statement as well as the Environment Area of Action pages should be considered as a kind of policy.
Sustainability Mission Statement
Developed in 2017 and based on its materiality matrix, LEG’s Mission Statement describes the Company’s understanding of responsibility as well as its strategy regarding the environment:
“LEG pursues the vision of a livable world in which people use natural resources sustainably in the long term and successfully limit global warming. The buildings sector has considerable responsibility in this respect. In Germany, building heat is responsible for around 24 percent of energy-related greenhouse gas emissions. In this area of action, we therefore focus on climate protection measures. As a housing company, we focus on reducing the energy used in providing heating and hot water to our apartments through energy-efficient buildings. Wei also support the use of low-emission and renewable energies. We involve our tenants by informing them about energy saving and resource conversation via targeted measures.”
Environment Area of Action
These pages inform about LEG’s commitment and strategic approach, i.e.:
- LEG believes it has major responsibility for the environmental impact of its actions.
- LEG supports the energy transition and climate protection as well as the achievement of the climate goals set by policymakers.
- LEG set itself measurable and publicly communicated targets for the energetic improvement of the portfolio through modernisation and reports on the achievement of the targets as well as on the responsibilities for target attainment.
- In order to reach its targets, the Company implemented a program for energetic modernisation. In this context, LEG makes sure that its building activities are environmentally acceptable and also comply with the various waste disposal standards, laws and regulations.
- Furthermore, in order to increase control over consumption levels and emissions, LEG employs energy efficiency certificates and uses consumption-based utility and heating cost invoicing. This way, LEG helps tenants to understand their energy costs and modify their consumption behaviour.